FACING PROBLEM GAMBLING TOGETHER
In honor of Problem Gambling Awareness Month (PGAM), the New York Council on Problem Gambling (NYCPG) is challenging everyone across New York State – individuals, agencies and communities alike – to come together to face problem gambling. With gambling opportunities expanding at rapid rates in New York State and beyond, it’s imperative that all factions of the community, in all geographic areas of the state, join forces around the issue of problem gambling. We need to collaborate to raise awareness of problem gambling, prevent any additional problems related to gambling, and get those in need to adequate support services in their own community.
In order to help everyone, we’re hoping to harness the energy around Problem Gambling Awareness Month and partner with everyone who cares about the issue. Click the linked weeks, below, for some ways to take action this month.
LOG YOUR PGAM ACTIVITIES HERE
Please fill in the contact form below to let us know what you’re doing in your community during
Problem Gambling Awareness Month. We want to help spread the word about all our partners
who care about problem gambling!
Below are ways to take action this month to raise awareness of problem gambling. Every action you take makes a difference. Help us make a difference.
Week 1 (March 1) – GET EDUCATED
- Reach out to your Problem Gambling Resource Center and meet the problem gambling team in your region (Link to PGRC Website)!
- Attend an OPEN Gamblers Anonymous meeting to learn about recovery from problem gambling (Link to Flyer).
- Join our Email Subscriber list (Link to Subscribe).
- Share the PGAM Press Release (Press Release coming soon).
- Include problem gambling info in your media (Link to Digital Media Support).
- Sign a proclamation to show your support for Problem Gambling Awareness Month (Link to Proclamation).
- Show your support for problem gambling efforts in NYS (Link to Advocacy Page).
Week 2 (March 7) – SCREENING IS VITAL
Join organizations across New York on March 8th for Screening Day!
- Screening Day Toolkit
- Screening Day Quick Start Guide
- Screening Day How-To Video
- eScreener for Gambling Disorder
- Know the warning signs of problem gambling (Link to Warning Signs).
- Learn about the help available in your area (Link to PGRC Website).
- Attend #NYCPG2022 from the comfort of your own home (Link to Conference Website).
- Follow #NYCPG2022 on Facebook and Twitter for live conference updates and info (Link to Facebookand Twitter).
- Check out our self-screening tool to assess your risk for gambling-related problems (Link to eScreener).
- Reach out to one of our Screening Day partners (Link to Screening Day Partner List Coming Soon)
Week 3 (March 14) – PREVENTION IS KEY
- Visit our new and updated YOU(th) Decide website for information for youth, parents and community leaders. (Link to YOU(th) Decide Website)
- Attend the NYCPG Webinar on March 18 @ 12:00-1:30pm to learn about “Emerging Trends and How to Avoid Pitfalls” (Link to Training Center)
- Learn about how gambling can actually CHANGE THE BRAIN (Link to BrainRide)
- Talk to your kids about the risks of underage gambling (Link to Talk2Kids)
- Create safe, trigger-free spaces by designating gambling free zones (Link to Poster).
- Take our Facebook Challenge and post a video on Facebook to let the world know why you/your agency cares about problem gambling (Link to Challenge). *Don’t forget to tag NYProblemGambling and your regional PGRC!
- Submit a letter to the editor to raise awareness of problem gambling in your community (Link to Sample LTE coming soon)
- Talk to your clients about the risks of problem gambling and possible warning signs (Link to Warning Signs).
Week 4 (March 21) – TREATMENT WORKS
- Hear about what it’s like to reach out for help with gambling. (PGRC Blog Post).
- Read success stories from individuals, families, and clinicians who are part of the PGRC network (Link to Stories).
- Reach out to your PGRC today to find out about support options in your area (Link to PGRC Website).
- Take our Facebook Challenge and post a video on Facebook about the treatment/support services that your group/organization offers (Link to Challenge). *Don’t forget to tag NYProblemGambling and your regional PGRC!
- Visit the e-screener for self-screening info (Link to eScreener).
Week 5 (March 28) – RECOVERY IS POSSIBLE
- Read stories of recovery (Link to Stories).
- Watch this video on recovery to hear stories of hope for individuals and their families (Link to Video).
- Take our Facebook Challenge and post a video on Facebook to share your story! For individuals, families and peers (Link to Challenge) *Don’t forget to tag NYProblemGambling and your regional PGRC!
Much more information to come!
For any questions, please feel free to reach out to Steilanos Canallatos at [email protected]